Las Vegas NV Bus Accident Attorney
Buses are a popular way to get around Las Vegas, to transport children to school, or to visit the city as a tourist. Las Vegas is a popular destination, with countless tourist buses arriving and leaving the city each day. School buses, city transit buses, private buses, and motor coaches are all large, heavy vehicles, difficult to maneuver, and exceptionally dangerous when involved in a collision. At Cogburn Law Offices, our Las Vegas bus accident lawyers serve people throughout Las Vegas who have been injured in a bus wreck caused by the conscious decisions of another. Every Las Vegas injury attorney at our firm is dedicated to recovering full and fair compensation, including medical costs, wage loss, and mental and emotional anguish.
Nevada Bus Accident Resources:
- Who is at fault in a Nevada bus accident?
- What should I do if I’m involved in a Nevada bus accident?
- When should I contact a Las Vegas buss accident lawyer?
- What are the most common types of bus accident claims?
- What are the most common causes of bus accidents?
- Bus Accident Statistics
Proving Fault in a Nevada Bus Accident
It is often difficult to determine fault in accidents that involve buses and mass transit. However, if you were injured in an accident, our legal team at Cogburn Law Offices can help you figure out who is liable for your injuries. The most common persons at fault during bus accidents are:
- Bus Drivers. Most likely to be held responsible if your accident was caused by driver error or negligence, including distracted driving, driver fatigue, driving under the influence, and traffic violations.
- Transit Companies. If your accident occurred due to improper vehicle maintenance, or mechanical failure, the transit company is likely at fault.
- Municipal Entities. In accidents including RTC and School District Buses, the city or government agency may be responsible. However, municipal transit claims are often subject to complex rules or shorter statutes of limitations for filing.
What to do if You’re Involved in a Bus Accident in Las Vegas
Whether you’re a native Nevadan or a visitor, you have the right to stay safe while using the state’s various mass transit systems. If you’ve been involved in a bus accident it’s important to follow these steps in order to remain safe and receive the compensation you may be entitled to.
- Visit a Doctor. Get examined by a qualified medical professional as soon as possible and be aware that injuries may take time to develop. Keep detailed records of all treatment and recovery details—this information could be useful for your case.
- Don’t Sign Anything. Transit companies, passenger carrier vehicle owners, or their insurance adjustors may approach you and offer you compensation in efforts to avoid legal action. Don’t settle for anything without first seeking legal advice.
- Lawyer Up. Most injury claims in Nevada have a statute of limitations, or window of opportunity for legal action, of two years; however, regulations that apply to bus accident claims can vary depending on owner/operator, service type, and crash circumstances. It’s imperative you seek legal advice to make sure your claim can be filed.
Hire a Las Vegas Bus Accident Lawyer
Drivers of commercial buses are entrusted with the safety of their passengers. This higher degree of responsibility causes commercial bus drivers to be held to higher standards than non-commercial drivers. There are additional rules governing the physical conditions, safety features, and licensing of buses and their drivers.
If you are injured in a bus accident, you may be unaware of any potential violations that have been committed by the commercial carrier or the bus driver. Our experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyers will investigate the accident to ensure that any and all violations are uncovered.
Most Common Types of Bus Accident Claims in Nevada
School Bus Accidents
Clark County has one of the nation’s largest school districts, more than 320,000 students, and 358 schools. School bus transportation is provided to thousands of students. Shocking numbers of school bus accidents take place every year, from minor fender-benders to serious injury and fatal accidents. If you or your child suffered injuries in a school bus accident, an experienced Las Vegas bus accident attorney at Cogburn Law Offices can provide legal representation to help you seek full financial compensation for all damages.
Metro Bus Accidents in Las Vegas
If you or a family member has been injured or killed in a city bus accident, seek legal representation immediately. The first step in filing a claim will be identifying what party (or parties) were at fault in the collision. A full investigation into the facts will be conducted. Our firm has all the resources to perform this critical task.
When filing a claim against the City of Las Vegas to recover compensation for an RTC bus accident requires specific legal actions. A “Notice of Claim” will be filed against the city. It is imperative that every aspect of your case is managed professionally, with correctly listed and named departments, city employees, or other negligent parties. Under NRS 11.010, the Nevada statute of limitations allows for two years from the time of an accident in which to file a claim. Our legal team can manage the many complex details while you focus on regaining your health.
Las Vegas has millions of visitors, with 42,214,200 visitors reported in a recent year. Many tourists come to the city on private tour motor coaches, and they are a common sight on city streets and roadways. Tour buses are large and heavy, weighing in the range of 30,000 to 44,000 pounds. Drivers are required to get extensive training prior to operating such a vehicle, as it requires special skills to maneuver a motorcoach, including making turns, stopping distance, and speed. With 11.9 percent of fatal accidents nationwide involving a large truck or bus, the risks of being injured in a collision with a motorcoach are particularly high in the Las Vegas area.
Most Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Bus accidents typically result in a higher rate of injury and fatality than your standard car accident because of the higher number of passengers and the larger size of the vehicle. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admissions (NHTSA), a bus is considered any motor vehicle designed to carry more than 10 people. A claim for compensation can be legitimately filed when it is determined that the cause of the accident was:
- Distracted bus driver
- Driver intoxicated or drug-impaired
- Bus driver violated traffic laws
- Transit company failed to properly maintain the vehicle
- Faulty or defective bus part or system
Bus Accident Statistics
The FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) has issued statistics that reveal the staggering number of bus accident fatalities and injuries. In a recent year, the agency reported the following national statistics:
- Buses involved in injury crashes: 15,000
- Persons injured in bus crashes: 24,000
- Fatal crashes involving a motorcoach, transit bus, school bus, van bus, or other buses: 257
At Cogburn Law Offices, our goal is to protect the rights and interests of the injured, or families who have lost a loved one in a bus accident in Las Vegas. As a premier trial law firm, you can rely upon us to be professional, dedicated, and committed to you and your family on a personal level. If you or a loved one was seriously injured, contact a Las Vegas bus accident attorney at Cogburn Law Offices for a free case consultation.