Pedestrians in Las Vegas face a wide range of dangerous conditions in crossing a street, or while walking on the sidewalk. The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that more pedestrians died than at any other time in Nevada’s history, with 78 pedestrians killed in 2017. At Cogburn Law, a dedicated Las Vegas accident attorney will take on your case of serious injury or wrongful death, proceeding to court to seek justice when necessary.
Nevada Pedestrian Accident Resources:
- How dangerous is Las Vegas for pedestrians?
- What are the most common causes of pedestrian accidents?
- What are the most common types of injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident?
- What damages can I collect in a pedestrian accident case?
- When should I contact a pedestrian accident attorney?
How Dangerous is Las Vegas for Pedestrians?
Las Vegas is listed as the 13th most dangerous metropolitan areas in the United States for pedestrians. 540 Nevadans were killed between 2003 and 2012 while walking – of which 413 were in the metro Las Vegas area at the time of the crash. In 2017, Clark County had its deadliest year with 77 pedestrian deaths total. This was a shocking 35.09% jump from 57 pedestrian deaths in 2016. The limited sidewalks, busy streets and booming night life of Las Vegas makes it a dangerous stomping ground for pedestrians.
Las Vegas’ Most Dangerous Intersections
While a pedestrian accident can occur on any city street, certain intersections pose a higher risk of injury. As reported by Las Vegas NBC News 3, Some of the locations known to be dangerous include:
- Boulder Highway and Sun Valley
- Rainbow and Sahara
- Rainbow and Hacienda
- Nellis and Cedar
- Desert Inn and Fort Apache
The most dangerous area for pedestrians is along the Las Vegas Strip, where intoxicated drivers and pedestrians alike run rampant. If you’ve been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident, we highly encourage you to reach out to one of our Las Vegas pedestrian accident attorneys for a free case evaluation.
What are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents, unfortunately, almost always involve a motor vehicle. Most of these accidents are caused by driver or pedestrian negligence. The most common causes for this type of accident include:
- Driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driver is distracted by texting, talking on the phone or using another gadget in the car
- Driver is exceeding the speed limit
- Driver is driving recklessly
- Driver runs a red light, stop sign or fails to yield to pedestrians
What are the Most Common Types of Pedestrian Accident Injuries
A pedestrian typically suffers very serious injuries after being hit by a moving vehicle. An innocent person may be hit while crossing a street, suffer severe injuries on initial impact, with a secondary impact of hitting the roadway, or being dragged beneath a vehicle. It is not uncommon for the injuries to be so extreme that the victim has no hope of recovery and passes away. In other cases, the injuries are catastrophic. These injuries are defined as those that leave a victim with permanent damage. Some common types of injuries suffered in a pedestrian accident include:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Joint injuries – knee, elbow, shoulder
- Internal injuries
- Wrongful death
What Damages Can I Collect in a Pedestrian Accident Claim?
Determining just compensation in a pedestrian accident case involves several key factors. These include:
- The degree of severity of the injuries, and the long-term impact
- The extent of the necessary medical treatment, current, and future
- Whether your injuries are permanent
- The impact upon you as a person, both in your profession and in your normal life activities
Every case is unique. Valuing a case in monetary terms requires a full investigation into the long-term impact of upon the victim. Generally, the compensation pursued will involve both economic and non-economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses
- Nursing and rehabilitation costs
- Property damage
- Loss of income
- Loss of earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of life
When to Contact a Las Vegas Pedestrian Accident Attorney
After a serious injury or the tragic loss of a family member, it can be difficult to know where to turn. While it is commonly understood that engaging the services of a lawyer is important, what is less commonly known is why you should speak with a Las Vegas pedestrian accident attorney with vast trial experience instead of an attorney who does not take cases to civil court. When you are represented by the Las Vegas personal injury attorneys at Cogburn Law, you can be confident that we will take your case to a jury if it will best protect your rights and interests.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, connect with a Las Vegas pedestrian accident attorney at Cogburn Law for a free case consultation.