Preparing For Your Initial Consultation With A Personal Injury Attorney
Every attorney meets with prospective clients in what we call an initial consultation. This is the first meeting between you and the attorney to help you both decide if you want to work together. At this point, you are getting information and advice on what can help you in your case. The initial consultation can be informal, however, it is important to be prepared for it so you can make the best of your time.
The Initial Consultation With An Injury Attorney
A lot of people may not know this, but most lawyers typically offer free initial consultations. There really aren’t any questionable agendas or hidden fees. We are here to help. But, how do you prepare for this initial consultation with an attorney? You want to be able to get the most out of this consultation, after all, it’s free.
During your initial consultation, you will have to provide the lawyer with an overview of what caused your accident and your injuries, and how it has impacted you. This is the time when you have to answer questions and provide supporting documents to give the lawyer the full picture. This will allow them to assess your case and prepare in the most efficient way for your case.
If you have been involved in an accident and are looking for a personal injury attorney for suffered injuries, please call (702) 748-7777 for a free initial consultation today with Cogburn Law.
Do I Need A Personal Injury Lawyer?
It’s true that not every accident needs a lawyer, but many do. Check out this video that proves that no injury is too small to at least get a consultation:
The best way of knowing if hiring a lawyer will benefit you is by evaluating a number of factors in your case. If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the factors below, it may be time to schedule an initial consultation:
- The person responsible for your accident already has an attorney
- Your accident caused severe injuries that prevent you to go to work
- You have significant medical bills
- The at-fault party for your accident is not cooperating
- Your injury could potentially have long term effects
- Wrongful death is suspected
You can’t possibly find all of the answers in Google. Many times, an attorney is your best option in order to win your case and make sure you don’t get taken advantage of.
How Can An Injury Lawyer Help Me?
The legal system is very complicated and no matter how much research you do it can be very difficult for anybody to represent themselves. Given that every case is unique, it is really essential to have an expert represent you. Many different variables may arise during your case, and if you don’t have a lawyer by your side, it can be impossible to gain a favorable outcome.
The following are some of the ways an attorney can help you with your case:
- Negotiate with insurance companies for maximum settlements
- Understand local procedures and the court system
- Gather witness information
- Work with investigators
- Breakdown of the costs of a case
- Pursue all types of compensation that you are owed
What To Ask A Potential Lawyer
Once you have scheduled your initial consultation with a personal injury attorney, make sure you have prepared the following questions:
- How long have you been practicing law?
- When did you establish your law practice?
- What types of cases do you handle?
- Who is your ‘normal’ client?
- Have you handled cases similar to mine before? How many?
- Do you have any specialized knowledge or training that may help my case?
- What are your fees and costs?
- Who will I be working with?
- What is your philosophy when it comes to winning a case?
- How much do you think I might be able to get in a settlement?
- How long should I expect my case to take?
- Is going to court my only option?
- How and how often will we communicate?
- What do you think the outcome of my case is going to be?
Tips to Prepare You For Your Initial Consultation
Before your initial consultation with your attorney have these questions ready. These will help you feel more confident and prepared about hiring any lawyer. Let’s go over some more tips to guide you when preparing for your initial consultation with an attorney:
- Write down any questions you may have about your case
- Be completely honest with the lawyer about your situation. You should never keep any details from them
- Bring along every document you have that you think could be relevant or beneficial to your case
- Everything you’re sharing with your attorney should have copies:
- Police reports
- Medical record
- Court documents
- Pay stubs and bank statements
- Insurance company correspondence
- If you wish, bring someone for support such as a friend or family member
- When you walk into the consultation have a goal in mind
- Be prepared
- Give as many details as you can
- Before signing a retainer with any lawyer, talk to references or conduct a background check
- Be patient and know that the legal process can be difficult and frustrating at times
The Best Personal Injury Lawyers In Las Vegas
We hope you have a better understanding of what you can expect for your initial consultation with a personal attorney. At Cogburn Law, we strive to make every person who walks through our doors feel comfortable and at ease. We understand that you have been through a lot and we are here to help lift the burden from you. If you have been a victim of an accident and have serious injuries, don’t hesitate to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with our expert Nevada personal injury attorneys. Contact Cogburn Law today at (702) 748-7777.