Truck Driver Hit And Run: What To Do?
Leaving an accident scene is a crime, especially when this accident causes fatalities and injuries, or property damage. A truck accident can cause that kind of harm, especially given that these days of pandemic truck accidents have increased. This means that if a truck driver leaves the accident scene they can be facing serious consequences and that the victims most likely will need the help of a skilled truck accident attorney to get the compensation they deserve. Let’s learn more about what happens in a truck driver hit and run accident.
Why Might A Truck Driver Leave The Accident Scene?
Truck drivers should know better than to leave the accident scene. This is because, in order to obtain their commercial driver’s license, they must pass a written and practical test that focuses mainly on responsibility and safety behind the wheel. To keep their licenses they also have to follow strict federal and state regulations, as well as passing re-certifications and health screenings.
And yet, sometimes truck drivers leave the accident scene in which they were involved with their trucks. The question here is why would they do something like that?
Some possible explanations include the following:
- Their commercial driver’s license is expired, revoked, or suspended.
- The driver is under the influence of drugs and alcohol while driving
- The driver knew their truck was not safe to drive or didn’t pass an inspection
- The driver didn’t realize an accident happened
These are explanations rather than excuses. Truck drivers must never leave the accident scene. There could be some potential penalties if they do so, including:
- Termination from employment
- Loss of their commercial driver’s license
- Prosecution for a felony
- Jail time
What Happens When the Truck Driver Leaves An Accident Scene
Victims of a truck driver hit and run often fear they will never get any compensation for their losses and injuries. But, this is not the case. Truck accident victims can protect their right to compensation for their losses and injuries by following some simple steps.
Call 911 Immediately
You should always call first responders to the accident scene, especially in a truck driver hit and run accident. Getting EMTs and the police serves a number of important purposes:
- It notifies the authorities that the truck driver has left the scene, and has likely committed a crime by doing so, allowing the police to search for the driver as soon as possible.
- It guarantees that the police will write an official report of the accident. This can be a very valuable piece of evidence of what happened as well as prove that you reported the driver.
- You’re ensuring your health by calling emergency medical responders to the scene to help you and any other victims.
Your Pictures And Observations Are Important
The truck driver may immediately leave the scene, or they can also stop momentarily and then leave. If you can, act quickly while they are still at the scene to take photos or video with your phone of the truck and any identifying markings. You should also take photos of the other involved vehicles. This evidence will be useful to the police in locating the truck driver, and when proving your case for seeking compensation.
Once the police get to the scene of the accident, tell them everything you say about the truck and the truck driver that ran. Give them this information as soon as possible so that your memory is still fresh.
How Can A Truck Accident Lawyer Help?
You don’t have to only rely on the police to find the truck driver, and finding them is not the only way to get compensation for your losses and injuries. You can explore all of your options to get the compensation you deserve by working with an experienced truck accident attorney.
A truck accident lawyer can:
- Investigate to track down the truck driver involved in your accident.
- Work with your insurance company to get you benefits.
- Evaluate your injuries and accident to determine if a third party may have liability to you.
- Plan a legal strategy and execute it to give you the best chance at getting compensation for your losses and injuries.
- Take legal action against the truck driver, and trucking company.
- Negotiate a fair settlement of your claim or take it to trial.
Truck Driver Left The Accident Scene? Don’t Worry
Anyone would feel confused and frightened after a truck accident, let alone if it’s a hit-and-run accident. By leaving, they are not only committing a serious crime but also potentially leaving a victim in a poor state of health. The good news is that Cogburn Law can help you recover from this ordeal by pursuing compensation for your injuries and other losses. Contact an experienced truck accident attorney today for a free initial consultation at (702) 748-7777.
Getting hit by a truck is traumatic. I can still see the truck coming directly at my car. Cogburn Law was amazing to me, they investigated my case, and how to get the truck company liable for my accident. Let’s just say I didn’t have to worry about how to pay my bills for my injuries. Thank you Alex and Jamie!